Wednesday, February 29, 2012

Happy Birthday Dr. Seuss

What's your favorite Dr. Seuss book? If you are a child, were a child, or know a child, you MUST know the beloved works of Dr. Seuss.

Celebrate this milestone in the world of Dr. Seuss - his birthday on March 2.  Born Theodore Geisel, Dr. Seuss as we know him best, was a prolific children's author and one that just about every reader is familiar with.

Says the NEA biography of Theodore Geisel, "Winner of the Pulitzer Prize in 1984 and three Academy Awards, Geisel authored and illustrated 44 children's books. His enchanting stories are available as audio cassettes, animated television specials, and videos."

I started thinking about my favorite Seuss book last weekend while attending a baby shower for a friend's daughter, who is also a teacher. Along with the usual baby gifts she got a number of books for her newborn, and it got my friend Terry and me started reminiscing about favorite Seuss stories. There are so many that it is hard to choose just one.

Here is a comprehensive list of all of Dr. Seuss's books and characters.

On the list are 54 books starting with And to Think that I Saw it on Mulberry Street published in 1938 to his last published work, I Am Not Going To Get Up Today! published in 1987. In between are some of the most beloved children's books ever published. I had an "ah-ha" moment of recognition on countless occasions while researching this article - each time remembering a Dr. Seuss that I'd forgotten!! What a trip down memory lane!

One of my favorites is one of his earliest, The 500 Hats of Bartholomew Cubbins. This great story tells of young Bartholomew's encounter with King Derwin, the ruler of Didd and his attempts to convince King Derwin that he IS removing his hat! The visual impact of the drawings, along with Dr. Seuss's trademark rhyming, makes for a wonderful story - especially to read aloud. I shared this book with my students in every grade I taught, from first to fifth, and they all loved it!

Another that I love is The Lorax, now a popular animated film. I used this one in conjunction with my ecology units with great success. I can still see that Lorax, speaking for the trees - we need him around today, I think.

And who could forget that perennial favorite - How the Grinch Stole Christmas. That was a staple in my read-aloud library for the holidays each and every year!

I'm sure you have many favorites of your own that you use with your children year in and year out.

Many schools use Dr. Seuss's birthday to plan Read Across America events.  The NEA has a great site for planning these reading events, as well as the Seussville site.

You may also enjoy author Anne Emerick's fictional account, The Day I Met Dr. Seuss!

Copyright 2012 +Irene Taylor. All rights reserved.