Wednesday, February 22, 2012

A Good Sub is Great to Find

Who in a classroom today hasn't been forever grateful for a good substitute? Where would we be without them? They come in, under often difficult conditions, and tend our classrooms with love and care while we are sick or taking care of family business. They are our "alter egos" and we should do whatever we can to make their jobs easier.

I'm sure each teacher has a method for preparing for a substitute. While I was teaching, I kept a special Sub Folder in my lesson plan book. In it I kept school policies, daily schedules, seating charts, bus schedules, extra duties, names of students who could be counted on for help, and the name of another teacher who was willing to lend a hand, and other useful and helpful information. In addition, I also prepared somewhat "generic" emergency lessons that could be used in a pinch, if for some reason my daily lesson plans could not be used. I also provided several fun activities that a sub could use if needed.

At the beginning of the year I prepared my students for the eventuality that they would have a sub during the school year. I outlined strict guidelines for work and behavior that I expected from them, and I assured them that no matter what - I WOULD be back the next day and they would have to face me and account for their behavior. I tried to "plan" my first day out, usually with a teacher workshop or other event that I knew about in advance. For those instances, I prepared very detailed lessons, and made sure there was more than enough work for the students to do.

And I told the students that I would be out, and the name of the sub who would be covering. Upon my return, I applauded good behavior, and dealt with the not so good, since there are always one or two in the class who really didn't believe there would be a consequence for their actions! I usually found that it only took that one time for students to realize that they needed to carry on with "business as usual" with a sub. I occasionally told them that what they needed to do was just look at the sub and pretend she was me - and behave accordingly.

I also came to appreciate the subs who came to the classroom prepared with a few tricks of their own. Many subs have their own "sub survival kit" which makes walking into a strange classroom easier. For those who find themselves providing this most important service, I offer a few tips and ideas that can be found at these sites. There are many great ideas to be found - and many can be used by new or experienced teachers as well.



Copyright 2012 Irene Taylor.All rights reserved.