Tuesday, July 10, 2012

Books for Kids: The Chronicles of Narnia

Summertime, the perfect time to curl up under a tree, or at home in the air conditioning, with a good book. And what's better than making that book one of the timeless classics. A perfect summertime read is a great series by author C.S. Lewis, The Chronicles of Narnia.

It seems that everyone has heard of the Chronicles of Narnia series. I remember my first encounter with these books. I was about 7, maybe 8, and in the third grade. My teacher, the long-haired Miss Ilaria, read what was then the first in the series, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe to us in chapters. I was captivated by this quintessential allegorical tale of good versus evil. I imagined the amazement of the four siblings at finding the magic wardrobe, and for may years after, I was always on the lookout for a magic closet or passageway that might take me into such a mystical world!

I was enthralled at the reading, and looked forward to that part of the day when we would hear the next in the grand adventure. I still think that hearing this wonderful story is perhaps the best way to be introduced to it. With no pictures to prejudice an unexposed mind, the listener can create the most vivid and lovely images upon hearing Lewis's wonderful prose! (Avoid the urge to share the movie version first - the possibilities for using one's imagination are great in this series of books!)

Over my many years of teaching, I read this book to many a class, and always to the delight of my student listeners. But, once hooked, the urge to read the story for oneself becomes strong. I so loved hearing it, that I sought it out in the library and read it again for myself, cover to cover. And, over many years of teaching, I also taught this book to many classes.

For those not familiar with the series, The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe is a wonderful story set in World War II England. Four siblings, two brothers and two sisters, are sent away from London to keep them safe from the bombings. At the home of old Professor Kirke they stumble upon the magic wardrobe closet and find themselves in the strange and wonderful world of Narnia where they meet all manner of creatures, both very good and very evil. The story of their struggle against the evil White Witch makes for an enthralling read.

There are seven books in the complete series, each taking the four children on another grand adventure in the magical land of Narnia. The original chronology began with The Lion, the Witch, and the Wardrobe, but Harper Collins, the United States publishers, have taken Lewis's stepson Douglas Gresham's order and suggest starting the series with The Magician's Nephew, actually written as a prequel to the series.

Start with either one, but start!! Enjoy these stories as a trip into your own reading past - or introduce them to someone you love.

Copyright 2012 Irene Taylor.All rights reserved.

No comments:

Post a Comment

Please leave a comment...